31 March, 2010

Day 9

Total word count for last 2 days:  too embarrassed to post.

It's been pouring rain here in the Northeast for the last 2 days and I've spent more time in the basement vacuuming up water (no sump pump) than writing.

I did sit down with my laptop 2 nights ago, but I couldn't seem to get motivated.  I've got some serious plot issues that have me stymied.  I've also been rethinking my protagonist, wondering if I should change her background/personality.  These are major hurdles, at least for this writer.

I tried free writing.  I don't know how that works for others, but it doesn't seem to do the trick for me.  I can write.  Give me a topic and I'll give you 1,000 words whether I know anything about the topic or not -- that's one of the things that got me through college.  My problem is relating the free writing back to my own manuscript.  Just doesn't seem to happen..

Monday night I decided to free write about a super power - a theme suggested at a workshop I recently attended.  The idea is to pick a way-out-there super power -- not something boring like x-ray vision -- and right a story or something about using it.  My super power?  The ability to pop popcorn with my mind.  And no, I had not been drinking.

Anyway, I free wrote (typed) for 5 minutes and ended up with a quirky little tale.  Amusing, but in no way helpful with my mystery.  And when I opened my manuscript back up, I was just as blocked as before.  What does popcorn have to do with my mystery?  Nothing.  But it sure tastes good slathered in butter...

Yes, I'd cleared my mind, but I still couldn't focus on the basic plot issue what is blocking me.

I'm not knocking free writing. Anything that clears the little grey cells should work, including exercising,  learning a new skill (mountain climbing?  lock picking?), or even doing a crossword puzzle.  The theory is sound, it just doesn't work for me. Some bacteria are drug-resistant; I'm free-writing resistant.

So, any suggestions on how to get back on track?  What do you do when you're blocked?

1 comment:

  1. Say to yourself: If this were real life--(because it is) What would really happen next?

    And don't worry.

    ReplyDelete