02 September, 2010

Anyone want a doggie bag?

Sometimes writing can actually  save you time - especially if your primary character is a caterer.
Most days, I carve out an hour or two to write, or do research, fitting the time in whenever I can.  Sound familiar?  Good writing takes time, and that's time taken away from everything else we need to do - like laundry, holding down a job to pay the bills, etc.  I don't regret the time, I just wish there were more hours in the day.

Generally I look to my life for inspiration for my writing, but this week I'm going the opposite way.  My current WIP has the protagonist faced with catering a huge cocktail party - a senate campaign launch..  The first thing she has to do is decide on a menu, and then prepare the food for 150 hungry people -- all in 24 short hours.

As life would have it, I'm planning an open house/cocktail party in celebration of my mother's 90th birthday this month.  Who better to consult than my own character?  The menu is already planned for the book, the recipes already tested.  All I have to do is make out the shopping list, cook, and serve.  And I'm only having 45 guests - 1/3 the number my character has to feed!  Here's the menu:

Platters:
Pate de Campagne
Assorted cheeses w/ fresh & dried fruit
Smoked salmon (courtesy of the local bistro who cure their own)
Artichoke Pesto dip
Beer cheddar spread

Cold:
Greek salad skewers
Caprese skewers
Prosciutto & melon skewers
Gazpacho shots
Beef Crostini w/ red pepper mayonnaire
Endive spears w/ blue cheese mousse

Hot:
Mini Frittatas
Lemon Pork Sandwiches
Meatball sliders
Hamn, Gruyere & Honey Mustard Palmiers
Pigs in a blanket
Goat cheese & caramelized onion puffs
Mushroom empanadas
Artichoke & spinach bites

Sweets:
Rosemary shortbread
Profiteroles
Fruit tartlets ( lemon, lime, strawberry rhubarb, nut)

What do you think?  Enough variety?  Anyone going home hungry? Anyone want a doggie bag?

2 comments:

  1. Does your heroine ever sleep? She needs to be Superwoman to prepare that menu in 24 hours. I hope you have more time than she did. By the way, may I come? My mouth is watering. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably, but its a bit far to send...

    ReplyDelete