14 December, 2010

Practical Holiday Giving

As I was writing end-of-the-year checks to various charities, it occurred to me that it was all pretty impersonal.  I knew the money would help, but it still felt kind of sterile. Every year I write checks, donate provisions to the local food bank, and bake cookies for the nursing home.  Blah, blah, blah.  Practical, but boring. There had to be a better way to give  meaning to this special season.

My brothers won't be traveling to CT this year. meaning  it's just my mother and I for Christmas dinner, so no big deal there (although I will be providing a gourmet menu).  I have time on my hands.  So what could I do to help more?  Take in a foster dog, of course.

Working with the Circle of Hope group out of Tennessee, I found Henry - a black lab/border collie mix. There are currently 70 others dogs, just at Circle of Hope, looking for foster homes - all have been pulled from kill shelters, and most are less than a year old. 

Henry will arrive Saturday and will stay until he finds a forever home.  His stocking is already hanging from the mantle, right beside my Golden's, and toys will soon be under the tree. I'm not sure Clue is quite as excited as I am, but I know she'll adjust to having a "sibling" to play with, and will enjoy the company -- if not sharing her "people." 

I think this is going to be a very, merry Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment