10 April, 2011

It's Murder in CT

Just back from Murder 203 - Connecticut's homegrown mystery festival.  Held for the third year, it's a fun mix of writers and fans organized by the hard working staff of the Easton library.


This year's guest honour was the delightful Carolyn Hart, ably interviewed by Leslie Meier.  What a treat to hear the secrets behind this award-winning, cozy writer's success. Carolyn traveled all the way from Oklahoma to share her wit and wisdom with us.
 Others on hand included Rosemary Harris, Jane Haddam,  Amy Patirica Meade, Meredith Cole, Stefanie Pintoff and Larry Beinhart.  In all more than a dozen authors, many from the tri-State area, participated in sessions ranging from "Leading Ladies" to Mistakes I Wish I'd Never Made."

The highlight of the weekend (at least for me) is always the cocktail party held Saturday evening at the lovely Easton Library.  Mingling with authors and attendees over scrumptious hors d'oeuvres and a glass (or two) of wine is a real treat.

One of the things I like best about this conference - aside from the fact that it's less than 30 minutes from where I live - is the diversity of attendees.  I ate lunch (and as a foodie, I have to say the food is fantastic - no rubber chicken in sight) with four women who were just completing their MFA's in writing at Simmons College.  All were concentrating on either YA or children's mystery series. Wish there had been more of those around when I was growing up! I have to admit, it's a market I never considered.

Looking forward to next year's event!

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' readin' you eating up a good time of the mind and conviviality on a spree.

    You deserve only the best that your pages can churn under a blue moon dear Tiger.

    ~ Absolutely*Kate
    author, bon vivant, promoter/publisher
    and once a traipser of a famed CT tour'guide

    ReplyDelete