I only ask because in many countries it is traditional to wear a specific colour (not necessarily "unmentionables") based on what you're wishing for in the new year. But in South America, undies are the garment of choice. Those who wear red are hoping for a happy love life in the new year; those who choose yellow are wishing for money.
In Ireland, from when my ancestors hail, it's too cold for skimpy undies and single women place mistletoe leaves under their pillow on New Year's eve, hoping to catch their future husband. Not sure whether they dream about them or hope they tiptoe into the bedroom...now that might make a good mystery!
Polka dots (meant to denote coins) are a must-wear on New Year's day in the Philippines, as is eating round-shaped foods. Pizza, anyone?
Usually when you burn someone’s picture it means a bad break up, but in Ecuador, the New Year's fiesta includes everyone gathering together with pictures that represent something you do not want in the new year from the last year and burning it. I have a manuscript I'm willing to contribute!
But I digress. Back to colours. My research suggests the following:
- Red evokes a powerful emotion of passion, lust, sex, & energy --a symbol of pride and strength.
- Yellow represents youth, fun, happiness, sunshine and other light playful feelings. Not sure why, but in South America yellow is associated with wealth.
- Orange represents fire, the sun, fun, warmth & tropical images. Orange also increases oxygen supply to the brain and stimulates mental activity, so maybe it would be a good choice for those of us hoping for literary inspiration.
- Green is the color of nature and health. It represents growth, nature, money, fertility and safety.
- Blue shows creativity and intelligence. It is a color of loyalty, strength, wisdom and trust.
- Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red, symbolizing mystery, magic, power and luxury.
- Black is often used to portray something evil, depressing, s or scary, but it is also associated with sex.
- White is obviously pure, clean, fresh and good.
So, what colour panties are you wearing on January 1st, 2013? I'm thinking multi-coloured polka dots, maybe with a spring of mistletoe pinned on!