18 September, 2013

Tastey Tuesday: Confessions of a Foodie


I have a confession to make: I've never eaten macaroni and cheese from a box.  Does that sound heretical? Un-American?

I can't explain how it happened, it just did.  Ramen noodles, hamburger helper, Shake & Bake, those I've all tasted.  Confession #2: I love Ramen noodles.

But back to macaroni & cheese. I don't know if it was frugality or taste, but my mother always made her mac & cheese from scratch.  And she made it with tomato juice! She got the recipe from her mother, who got from . . .I have no idea. Imagine my surprise when I found out that no one else had ever seen or tasted anything like it.

All I can tell you is that I love our version, it's lower in calories than the standard recipes, and my brothers and I still eat it cold for breakfast.

What about your family?  Any hand-me-down recipes that differ from the norm?

Nanny's Macaroni & Cheese

  •     8 oz elbow macaroni or small shell pasta
  •     8 oz extra sharp cheddar
  •     11.5 oz can V-8 juice

  1.     Cook pasta al dente, about 10 minutes.
  2.     Shred cheese. Reserve 1/2 cup.
  3.     Mix warm pasta and cheese (except 1/2 cup) in a 2-quart oven-proof, deep casserole.
  4.     Top with reserved cheese.
  5.     Pour V-8 juice over casserole until it comes just to top of pasta.
  6.     Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
  7.     Enjoy!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment