28 January, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Popovers

I'm dubbing today Tasty Tuesday. My day to share a recipe with my readers.

I've been backing bread for years.  I love the feel of dough and the frustrations you release kneading it, to say nothing of the magical appeal of a homemade, freshly baked loaf.  But I don't always two or three hours to allow the yeasted loaves to proof. That's what happened last week.  I had a big pot of beef barley soup and no bread. 

Never one to give up easily, I decided to try popovers...for the first time. I had a popover pan I'd received as a gift over a year ago and never used, so what better time?

First step.  Find a recipe. I was seriously tempted by Emeril Lagasse's Cheesy Herbed Popovers, but opted to go simple the first time. (I'll be trying his recipe next!)

Basically, if you have the right tool—a popover pan—the recipe is no harder than making pancakes. They take about 10 minutes to whip up and less than 30 to bake. And look how they turned out! Even warmed over in the oven the next day they crisped back up. They were huge!



Herb Popovers
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

1. Preheat oven to 450º.

2. Whisk eggs in a blender until frothy. Add milk, flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons butter; whisk until well blended. Add herbs and whirr to blend.

2. Use 2 tablespoons butter to grease popover pan; place pan on a baking sheet. Warm pan in oven for 5 minutes. DO NOT skip the warming step. Remove pan from oven, and divide batter equally among popover cups.

3. Bake at 450º for 13 minutes. (Do not open oven during the first 10 minutes of baking or popovers won't rise properly.) Reduce oven temperature to 350º, and bake 15 to 20 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and pierce each with a wooden pick to release steam. Remove from pans, and serve immediately.

Try your own combination of herbs, but stick to fresh ones as dried herbs will be overpowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment