- Pastry Dough, rolled into a 13-inch round (see recipe section of this website or use your own, just be sure to roll it thin)
- 1 medium acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2"-in chunks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp butter
- Coarse salt
- ¼ lb Smoked chicken and garlic sausage, diced (buy the fully cooked kind)
- 1 large yellow onion. sliced thin
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp water
Place the rolled out pastry dough on a rimless baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate.
Place the squash on a rimmed baked sheet, drizzle with 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil , sprinkle with coarse salt, and toss to coat. Spread into a single layer and roast until almost tender (10 minutes). Remove from oven and cool.
Raise the heat to medium-high and add the sausage. Saute until lightly browned. Add to the onions and cool.
Spread the chilled dough with the onion, squash, sausage mixture, leaving a 1 1/2" border. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Fold the pasty edges up and over the filling, forming loose pleats to fit. Brush the pastry lightly with the egg mixture.