2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat your oven to 500°F
- Blend together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder) as long and as vigorously as you want. Continue until all dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Add the berries and nuts, and stir them until they are evenly coated with the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat the liquid ingredients together until they are light.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. With a fork or wire whisk blend for 20 seconds and no more. It’s okay if you’ve left some lumps that look as if they want more stirring. Don't give in or you'll have tough muffins.
- Fill the cups of a lightly greased, or paper-cup lined, 12-cup muffin tin three-quarters full. As soon as the muffins are in the oven, immediately drop the oven temperature to 400 degrees.(When you put muffins in a very hot oven initially and then immediately drop the temperature, you help create the peaks that make them so appealing.) Bake for about 20 minutes or until they’re a lovely, golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Best served warm.